|November 4, 2004 12:00 AM EST||
Woods is seeking compensatory damages totaling $50 million, which includes an amount the 28 year-old recently wed athlete estimates he is worth, as a product endorser. Christensen is accused of not only boasting about whom the yacht's owner is, but also allegedly distributing photos of the vessel, christened 'Privacy,' to magazines and other sources, and displayed them during a recent Miami boat show.
The November issue of Power & Motoryacht carried a story entitled "Shhhhh..." In it, detailed specifications are discussed about Tiger Woods' new Trideck Motor Yacht, right down to the kinds of patterns and materials selected for various furniture arrangements. The article clearly shows Tiger Woods to be the owner; although none of the sources quoted explicitly names him as the owner.
The case was filed in federal court in Miami. Woods' new bride, model Elin Nordegren, brought added heat to the legal fire, by presenting a sworn declaration. In it she explains why Woods is seeking damages, and the basis for the $50 million price tag.
"Christensen's unauthorized disclosures invade the privacy of my family and my husband and has caused us harm that cannot be fully compensated by monetary damages," Nordegren's statement reads. She says the yacht was intended as a haven to escape the unwanted spotlight Woods' celebrity status brings. "As its name implies, 'Privacy' was intended to be a private respite for our family to relax and escape the rigors of my husband's celebrity."
Woods' wife, it is revealed, was the one who discovered Christensen's blatant breach of the privacy agreement her husband signed. She plainly saw photos in Christensen's booth showing her husband and the yacht. Woods' camp construes this as unfair use and theft of service by Christensen, for using Woods' recognizable status to endorse their own product. Woods says that $50 million is what his comparable value would be, if he were endorsing something.
- Arabian Knights and Their Floating Palaces
- Celebrity Yacht Charters From Monaco to Saint-Tropez
- Who Will Buy Larry Ellison's (World's Largest) Megayacht?
- Tiger Woods Sues Christensen Shipyards for Breaking Privacy Agreement
- Highlights From Ft. Lauderdale International Boat Show
- 43rd Annual International Antigua Charter Yacht Meeting Was Huge Success!
- 2005 Genoa International Yacht Charter Meeting Photo Album
- Monaco Yacht Show Live Coverage Photo Album
- SCYE 2004 - The Best Organized Charter Yacht Show Ever!
- Hollywood's A-List Celebs Choose Yacht Charters for Total Escape